The Assoc HFC Designer generates broadband system designs in the most cost-effective manner while maintaining Charter Communications’ and the department’s standards and specifications. Under direct supervision/guidance, prepares and maintains detailed engineering and design drawing files and schematics using Computer Aided Design (CAD) or other spatial or GIS software platforms. Works closely with cross-departmental boundary partners; Tech Ops, Construction and Engineering in the facilitation of design/engineering services providing necessary information, including strand maps, design maps, BOMs, charts, graphs, and sketches of vertical details, and provide SOWs in a timely basis. Helps develop and maintain Charter Communications; broadband HFC design and digitizing standards.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Design basic HFC broadband plant extensions utilizing various design software programs.
- Utilize various CAD/GIS software programs (Bentley, Spatial, AutoCAD, and Smallworld) to digitize base, strand, coax, fiber designs, fiber splicing documentation and BOMs in accordance with the Charter Communications digitizing standards and specifications.
- Conduct engineering change orders to ensure that all related work is complete and accurate and all related documentation is acquired and routed properly.
- Perform quality control checks on field mapping, field notes and/or map digitizing to ensure all specifications are met.
- Provide technical guidance and QC of contractor work in support of existing specifications across various architecture concepts.
- Document and digitize construction as-builds for project reconciliation as required.
- Contribute to project coordination and perform administrative functions by maintaining associated records, providing reports as necessary and processing related invoices.
- Schedule work assignments, monitor project work flow and maintain accurate weekly production reports.
- Make copies of system prints or engineering documents as required.
- Maintain digital plotter, engineering copier/scanner and other departmental equipment.
- All other duties as assigned.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English at a very high level
- Well-versed in HFC architectures, HFC Network Design Specifications and symbology
- Understanding of CATV standards and terminology, HFC, Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH) and Passive Optical Network (PON) architectures
- Basic knowledge of CAD/Spatial applications such as MicroStation/BentleyComms, Spatial, AutoCAD and/or Smallworld design and digitizing software programs
- Ability to handle multiple projects at one time with accuracy
- Working knowledge of MS Office such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Must have strong computer skills
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities
- High School Diploma or equivalent education and experience
- College level math (algebra, trigonometry, calculus) or demonstrated analytical ability preferred
Related Work Experience Number of Years
- Drafting/design experience or coursework 1+
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule
- Office and field environments
More on Spectrum: Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, current unemployment status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Charter Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Current Unemployment Status.